We are all 100% okay. We were VERY shaken, but we are whole, safe, and calm today. Here is the story.
Braam's friend Pierre was in visiting from South Africa for three days. Yesterday, Braam, Pierre, Eloise and I were taking a trip to Buffalo Trace Distillery for a little trip and a tasting. Before we got to our destination, we took a wrong turn into the loading area behind the distillery. We went to take a right-turn out of the parking lot. We had pulled alongside an 18-wheeler that was also exiting the parking lot. The truck was in the middle of three lanes - the middle and left lanes were left turn only . We were in the right-turn lane. The light was red, so we were stopped, but the truck began pulling out into traffic, and started to make a wide right turn. We freaked out, and watched as the huge bed of the truck collided with our car, pushing us to the side and crushing the drivers side door. Braam was driving, Pierre was in the passenger seat, Eloise was in the middle back, and I was behind Pierre.
Braam ducked over to the side, and Pierre and I just watched, stunned. It happened somewhat slowly, but we were all frozen. Eloise was asleep, sucking on my finger (it was time for her to eat). There was no rough impact. She slept through the whole thing, only waking when I lifted the blanket that was covering her.
As I said, we were all completely uninjured. Police, fire and ambulance came to check everything out. I sat in the back of the ambulance and fed Eloise while Braam and Pierre talked to the police. Later, when the ambulance left, I sat in the back of the police car because it was cold and rainy. Finally, while we were waiting for the tow truck, we sat in the BP station across the street. Eloise was giggling it up, which eased our shock somewhat.
Catherine picked us up, and brought us home to a nice stiff drink and a wonderful braai. More details on the outcome of the accident (and the fate of the valiant Jetta), but we are all confident that the truck driver was making an illegal turn.
Car under truck.
From the back. Check out the truck driver. He is standing in front of the car. I have never seen someone who looked more like a truck driver IN MY LIFE.
Yipes.
Under the truck.
Me and Eloise in the back of the cop car.
No comments:
Post a Comment